Car Care Tips are important to know, especially when you haven’t driven your vehicle in quite a while. These worthy suggestions came from our friends at Nissan but can apply to any car, truck or SUV sitting in your driveway or garage.
Here at Napleton.news, we are more than familiar with “Cabin Fever,” which comes partly from our corporate headquarters being located in the Chicago area; For it to extend into Spring is a bit much. But due to the current pandemic, we are all experiencing, the same tips and techniques can be vital to making sure your vehicle remains in top shape for those times you really need it.
Before we get started, here are two guiding principles to car care:
● A vehicle’s tires, batteries and fluids need to be monitored and maintained with simple actions
● A “team cleaning” of their vehicle is a great way to reconnect with the family, with the added bonus of protecting the paint.
CAR CARE TIPS FOR THOSE SHELTERING IN PLACE
We never thought we would be working from home this long. Neither did you. As a result, you’ve managed to work in your PJs, sleep up until the very last second, and have the conveniences of home usually within an arm’s reach of where you are doing the daily hustle.
But what about your vehicle. Remember him (or her?) sitting out in the driveway or the garage? They all require some TLC, not to mention an occasional talking to, as well. Nissan published a few simple vehicle-care techniques so owners can take care of their cars, SUVs and trucks even though they might not have been used for a while.
“The shelter-in-place orders in effect throughout much of the United States and Canada mean that many vehicles are seeing infrequent if any, use,” said Ryan Fulkerson, director, New Model Engineering, Nissan North America. “The longer a vehicle sits unused, the more likely it is to develop issues.
It’s pretty easy, actually. By taking these few key but simple steps, drivers can keep their cars running smoothly and help maintain them for many years to come.
FIVE USEFUL CAR CARE TIPS WHEN YOUR CAR IS ON A STAY AT HOME ORDER WITH YOU
1. Keep the battery charged – a trickle charger will usually help with that task. But if you’re like us, you’ll say, “who has a trickle charger just hanging around?” Us, either. In this case, a short drive around the neighborhood will also do the trick.
2. Drive around the block – Like a jog around the block, this keeps the fluids circulating and the battery charged.
3. Check the fluids – Make sure you check and maintain the proper oil and transmission fluid levels. This exercise will help prevent moisture from being introduced into the system. In the long run, it will prevent problems down the road.
4. Maintain recommended tire pressure – A vehicle that sits for as long as a month or more, if not properly inflated, could develop flat spots. What’s a flat spot? Think of it in terms of sleeping: If your head hits the pillow, and you stay in one position all night long, you’ll wake up with hair on one side of your head that is as flat as your dining room table. While your hair can be re-styled, there is no way to “re-round” your tires. Even after you have re-inflated them, they will still have a flat area that causes the tires to vibrate at speed.
5. Wash your vehicle regularly – With apologies to the great Rodney Dangerfield, “have some self-respect!” That’s easy when you have a clean car. By regularly washing your vehicle, you will help protect the paint, and ultimately your investment, especially for vehicles parked outdoors. “Washing a car yourself can also relieve boredom,” said Nissan’s Fulkerson, “and be a great activity for the entire family.”
ESSENTIAL AUTOMOTIVE SERVICES AND CAR CARE DURING COVID-19
If a vehicle requires more attention, remember that all Napleton Auto Group dealerships and their service departments are deemed essential services during the Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic. Many of our Napleton dealership service departments offer “touchless” pickup and delivery. Please call the dealership nearest you to confirm.
Eventually we will all be able to hit the road again. There are vacations that have been on hold, plans that are waiting to be made, and more. Stop by your local Napleton Auto Group dealership to get your vehicle Road Trip Ready.
Remember, we service all makes and models, so regardless of what you are driving, you can be confident that the Napleton family of dealerships will always be here to assist you in getting your vehicle back on the road.