It was a sultry night in Miami Beach as the new Hyundai IONIQ 5 EV was introduced. The new crossover EV is built with a driving range targeted at 300 miles. It utilizes Hyundai’s Electric-Global Modular Platform (E-GMP). The IONIQ 5 is part of Hyundai’s plan for 23 BEV designs and 1-million units on the road by 2025.
A Hyundai IONIQ 5 EV Walkaround
Hyundai’s Miles Johnson takes us around the new IONIQ5 EV
What surprised Napleton News about the IONIQ 5 was just how physically big it is. Here are some other observations gleaned that night in the Magic City:
- Cutting-edge Parametic Pixel LED lighting elements
- Extended 118.1-inch wheelbase: The new IONIQ 5 features the longest wheelbase in Hyundai’s U.S. lineup—even longer than the Palisade!
- Front and rear forms merge together at the doors, displaying another example of Hyundai’s ‘Parametric Dynamics’ design
- A style-forward V-shaped front bumper incorporates distinctive daytime running lamps (DRLs)
- “Shaved” door handles provide clean surface styling for enhanced aerodynamics
- Strong C-pillar shape, inspired by the ‘45’ EV concept, gives IONIQ 5 a commanding presence
- Large aero-optimized 20-inch wheels echo the design theme and complete IONIQ 5’s perfected proportions, optimized for Hyundai’s E-GMP platform
A choice of Hyundai IONIQ 5 EV powertrains and drive systems
The IONIQ 5 offers two powertrain options along with one 77.4 kWh battery pack. Buyers will select either one (FWD) or two (AWD) electric motors. In this case, the range-topper is a two-motor AWD configuration making 320 horsepower (74 kW front + 165 kW rear) and 446 lb-ft of torque. With the AWD system, a speed of 0-to-60 is achieved in 5 seconds. The single-motor layout driving the rear axle makes 225 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque.
Quick charge artist
When equipping your home with a 350-kW charger, the IONIQ 5 can charge from 10 percent to 80 percent in just 18 minutes. A range of 68 miles can be achieved in just five minutes using a 350-kW fast charger. The IONIQ 5’s standard Level 2 onboard charger completes a full charge in 6 hours and 43 minutes.
Purchasers of the new IONIQ 5 can take advantage of a new joint venture between Hyundai and charge partner Electrify America. EA will be supporting the 2021 Kona Electric and IONIQ plug-in sedan owners with DC Fast charging with the Electrify America app. The company will offer unlimited 30-minute charging sessions for two years from the date of the vehicle’s purchase. IONIQ 5 owners will enjoy the freedom of having over 600 ultra-fast charging stations across the country. The plan is for Electrify America to have more than 800 charging stations equipped with more than 3,500 ultra-fast chargers by the end of 2021.
In addition to driving the IONIQ 5, its system also allows you to use or charge any electric devices, like electric bicycles, scooters or camping equipment. It’s perfect for powering necessities during a tailgate party, camping trip, outdoor projects or even as a way to rescue another electric vehicle!
Get in line!
The new Hyundai IONIQ 5 goes on sale this fall with a pre-reservation program for early purchasers offering early handraisers special benefits. Napleton News is looking forward to testing the new IONIQ 5 shortly. Check back for a full report!